In my interview, I was told the soonest available cohort was in June, so I said that would work great. Turns out, though, that there’s a opening for the April cohort. I’ve been trying to talk myself through the pros and cons of starting earlier vs. later, and I’ve discussed with several people. These are my conclusions thus far.
- My ultimate goal is to be a software engineer, and this means I can start going for that goal earlier!
- Spending less time doing tasks I’m not particularly excited about at my current company
- More time doing something I love
- Less time earning my current (so-so) salary and more time (hopefully) earning a higher salary post-HR
- I don’t have to wait as long!!! Super excited to join Hack Reactor.
- Won’t have the full tuition saved up yet so I’ll have to defer or take out a loan
- May feel less prepared because I’ll have less time for the pre-course curriculum
- Will feel like I’m leaving my company in a time that I am very useful/integral
- Will have saved up the full tuition amount
- More time to transition out of current company and see certain projects to completion
- Due to above, may have more to put on my resume in terms of accomplishments
- A lot more time to spend going over the pre-course curriculum multiple times = feeling more prepared at HR!
- Have to wait longer and drag out tasks at current company
- Will be programming intensively through the summer (slightly unpleasant due to years of conditioning in school with summer breaks)
Most of my conversations with people have led to my leaning towards April. I’ve emailed asking if a small deferral amount would be possible if i were to do the earlier cohort. I won’t flip a coin, but regardless money is still helping to decide this for me. </cheesy>